Re: HTTPS and the Semantic Web

On 21 May 2016 at 02:02, Nathan Rixham <nathan@webr3.org> wrote:

> Dereferencing should be blackbox, let TLS+UIR+HSTS handle that side.
>
> An x:alias predicate which asserts that one name (IRI) is an alias of
> another name (IRI) would be very useful. <a#b> x:alias <c#d> .
>
> An x:canonical predicate which asserts <a#b> x:alias <c#d> . and that
> <a#b> is the preferred IRI more useful still.
>
> Using syntax shortcuts you could add the following triple to the turtle
> document at https://www.w3.org/1999/02/22-rdf-syntax-ns#
>
>    rdf: x:canonical <http://www.w3.org/1999/02/22-rdf-syntax-ns#> .
>
> Result:
> <http://www.w3.org/1999/02/22-rdf-syntax-ns#> a owl:Ontology .
> <https://www.w3.org/1999/02/22-rdf-syntax-ns#> a owl:Ontology .
>

> Point 2:
>
> Using a 307 redirect for the semantic is nice, but practically click
> http://www.w3.org/ns/dcat# and you are redirected, refresh and you find
> the client does use the redirected url for subsequent requests.
>
> As a general person or developer search w3.org for dcat and the results
> are https://www.google.com/search?q=site:w3.org%20dcat - the url listed
> is the https url.
>
> Usage of the https IRIs will enter the web of data ever increasingly,
> whether people say the http one should be used or not.

I didnt realize http 307 was being used.

Redirects can be a very useful tactic, but tend to be a rather large pain
in semantic web programming.

>From our experience to date we it would probably be valid to say "3xx
Redirects are considered harmful".

5 years from now we might be in a better situation, with better inferencing
and automatic updates to systems, but I am not sure I would bet on that.