Re: xsd:anyURI - was: HTTPS and the Semantic Web

On May 21, 2016, at 9:48 AM, Nathan Rixham <nathan@webr3.org> wrote:

> That's what I was thinking about, with such a property (x:canonical) you as a maintainer of data could choose to do one of three things, in code I assume, when encountered:
>
> A) do nothing
> B) store all inferred triples (one triple for each http and each https uri)
> C) run a graph update

How about

D) run a graph update but add one owl:sameas triple (or whatever the appropriate more exotic assertion of identity is going to be) for each URI that has been updated, to make it possible to use this RDF with legacy RDF.

Maybe that is your B) ?
> I know I'd opt for c in most cases.

What would be your solution for how to record the fact that the old URIs in other RDF is supposed to be replaced by the new URIs your graph is now using? Or is that just someone else's problem?

Pat

> I'm about to run in to this on a domain for a client with 199m triples that's going to swap to http2/https. The HTML pages are easy, 301 + rel canonical. The rdf files could be the same easily, one would hope.
>
> On 21 May 2016 5:31 pm, "Hugh Glaser" <hugh@glasers.org> wrote:
> lol
>
> And apparently we are not allowed to discuss the idea of RDF being broken, by the way, so bad boys you and Nathan!
>
> Nathan, can we please think about the scale of this thing.
> Firstly, I have just counted the model files on one of many, many, domains I maintain - there are 3406702.
> This represents a bunch of RDF that is also held in an RDF store, along with other RDF - and served from there as Linked Data.
> There are 62375696 different URIs in this one dataset alone.
>
> Now the real problem(!): these URIs are widely distributed among a large number of model files, RDF stores and sameAs services.
>
> I’m not going to poke my nose (as yet perhaps!) into suggesting any solutions (I agree there is a problem); but the idea of fixing things by rewriting legacy RDF, or introducing owl:sameAs, or some other predicate++, for all the URIs in the world seems to me to ignore the practical aspects of a serious amount of RDF.
> We might just be finally getting to the stage of having a breadth of real applications using RDF; telling people to go away and change everything is a recipe for convincing people that RDF has failed (which I hasten to add it hasn’t!).
>
> Best
> Hugh
>
> > On 21 May 2016, at 17:05, Michael Brunnbauer <brunni@netestate.de> wrote:

> >> https://www.w3.org/1999/02/22-rdf-syntax-ns#type instead  of
> >> http://www.w3.org/1999/02/22-rdf-syntax-ns#type will be the day when RDF
> >> breaks.
> >>
> >> If RDF breaks because somebody can't open a file and string replace a with
> >> b in some code then save, a 20 second fix, it's already broken.
> >
> > The dby when everybody who ever used RDF opens b file bnd replbces b with b.
> >
> > Regbrds,
> >
> > Michbel Brunnbbuer
> >
> > --
> > ++  Michael Brunnbauer
> > ++  netEstate GmbH
> > ++  Geisenhausener Straße 11a
> > ++  81379 München
> > ++  Tel +49 89 32 19 77 80
> > ++  Fax +49 89 32 19 77 89
> > ++  E-Mail brunni@netestate.de
> > ++  http://www.netestate.de/
> > ++
> > ++  Sitz: München, HRB Nr.142452 (Handelsregister B München)
> > ++  USt-IdNr. DE221033342
> > ++  Geschäftsführer: Michael Brunnbauer, Franz Brunnbauer
> > ++  Prokurist: Dipl. Kfm. (Univ.) Markus Hendel
>
> --
> Hugh
> 023 8061 5652

IHMC                                     (850)434 8903 home
40 South Alcaniz St.            (850)202 4416   office
FL 32502                              (850)291 0667   mobile (preferred)