Re: xsd:anyURI - was: HTTPS and the Semantic Web

Hello Henry,

I am glad you agree with me that there is no need for widely deployed URIs to
change. I have no problem with redirects of widely deployed HTTP URIs to
HTTPS as long as it is made clear that using the HTTPS namespace is not OK.

We are talking about privacy and security issues of Semantic Web applications
with regard to the use of TLS. For me, this is clearly Science Fiction, so we
have some time to fix it. In the meantime, paranoid applications can use
HSTS and preloaded HSTS lists as a temporary workaround.

In the long run, this should be fixed on a lower layer and there is already
work underway to enable publishing "TLS required" preferences via DNSSEC:
https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-hallambaker-esrv-01

So I actually see no case for a namespace change even for less known
vocabularies. Anyway, there is already owl:sameAs and a property to express a
preferred namespace. Naturally, the latter is meant for human consumers.
What whould be the automated consequences of ex:canonical/ex:preferreduri?
Would app developers care about it?

Regards,

Michael Brunnbauer

--