Re: CFP: First International Workshop on Reproducible Open Science (RepScience 2016)

From: Herbert Van de Sompel <hvdsomp@gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 10 May 2016 06:39:41 -0600
Cc: Oscar Corcho <ocorcho@fi.upm.es>, "Oscar Corcho (UPM)" <ocorcho@cs.man.ac.uk>, Public LOD <public-lod@w3.org>, Semantic Web W3C <semantic-web@w3.org>, "e-ciencia@upv.es" <e-ciencia@upv.es>
To: Sarven Capadisli <info@csarven.ca>
Sarven,

I am a fan of your linked research work. But I think it's a bit unjust to characterize D-Lib Magazine as fitting in the category "via paper and desktop/print centric tools and formats."

D-Lib is, and has since its start in 1995, been an HTML-only journal that has served the Digital Library community very well. Just recently, I published a paper [1] in D-Lib in which the editors agreed  to allow me to diverge from their template in order to demonstrate the Robust Links [2] approach to combat reference rot in scholarly communication. We had tried to achieve the same with a paper about reference rot in PLOS ONE [3] but our request was declined.

While I agree that D-Lib does not represent an incarnation of your intended paradigm shift, I really don't think they are the enemy either.

BTW: Maybe you could consider supporting Robust Links in your work. It's all about long-term access and integrity of the web-based scholarly record and hence should be of interest to you.

Cheers

Herbert

[1] Van de Sompel, H., and Nelson, M.L. (2015) Reminiscing About 15 Years of Interoperability Efforts. D-Lib Magazine, 21(11/12). DOI:10.1045/november2015-vandesompel, http://dx.doi.org/10.1045/november2015-vandesompel

[2] Robust Links spec. http://robustlinks.mementoweb.org/spec/

[3] Klein, M., Van de Sompel, H., Sanderson, R., Shankar, H., Balakireva, L., Zhou K., and Tobin, R. (2014) Scholarly Context Not Found: One in Five Articles Suffers from Reference Rot. PLoS ONE, 9(12): e115253. doi:10.1371/journal.pone.0115253 ; http://dx.doi.org/10.1371/journal.pone.0115253