Re: Astronomy meets Semantic Web/Linked Data?

From: Idafen Santana Pérez <isantana@fi.upm.es>
Date: Thu, 31 Mar 2016 12:21:35 +0200
To: semantic-web@w3.org, AA9B8BBB545E23AD.1-77c2aec0-6fc3-4cd8-948f-4afaf246efea@mail.outlook.com
It seems an interesting topic to explore.

I see not so much potential on targeting data exchange and integration
between observatories using semantics, as they already use strong agreed
standards, defined by IVOA, as pointed out by Alasdair . However, I think
there is room for research on how to publish astronomic results,
facilities, and studies, and their relations, under the LOD paradigm.

Another interesting idea could be to study the alignment between the URIs
used by IVOA (ivoa://...) and SW/LD URIs, but I'm not really sure about how
this could work.

In both cases, this could be an good starting point:
http://wiki.ivoa.net/internal/IVOA/IvoaSemantics/VOFacility.xsd

Best,
Idafen Santana-Perez
PhD, Ontology Engineering Group