Re: Survey: Use of this list for Calls for Papers

From: Ruben Verborgh <ruben.verborgh@ugent.be>
Date: Wed, 30 Mar 2016 21:31:26 +0200
Cc: Ali Khalili <ali1k@yahoo.com>, Axel Polleres <droxel@gmail.com>, Phil Archer <phila@w3.org>, Semantic Web IG <semantic-web@w3.org>, LOD List <public-lod@w3.org>
To: janowicz@ucsb.edu
> A simple plain text email works just fine.

Plain text works fine for me—it's just that there's too much of it right now.

Efficient CfPs that inform people with the least possible amount of words
would be an added value to a topic-specific mailing list like this.

Some common practices, like listing the whole PC
and the conference's excellent reputation are just not helpful.
And that is what, I believe, a mailing list should focus on:
conveying helpful information to readers.

I think it's important to say this in the discussion,
because now it's presented as a false dichotomy:
either we want CfPs or not.
Maybe the more interesting question is:
how can we have better CfPs that are actually helpful?

Best,

Ruben