Re: Handling multiple rdfs:ranges

On 02/26/2016 06:04 AM, Reto Gmür wrote:
> Sure, still I think that schema:rangeIncludes is not meaningless (as it
> restricts the rdfs:range statements that are possible) and that

Under the standard open world assumption (OWA) I do not think it is
correct to say schema:rangeIncludes *restricts* anything.  Bear in mind
that given the statement:

   :p schema:rangeIncludes :Cat .

one could always add an arbitrary additional class to the property's
"expected type(s)" by adding another statement like:

  :p schema:rangeIncludes :Dog .

Therefore, the original statement cannot be *restricting* anything
(under the OWA).

Personally, I think a reasonable way to interpret its meaning is that it
says 'there exists an individual :d such that :d rdf:type :Dog'.

> it has
> some pragmatic usefulness such as when building editors that suggest
> values for a specific property.

Agreed.  And it's also useful if you're doing closed world reasoning.

David Booth