Re: Handling multiple rdfs:ranges

On Fri, Feb 26, 2016, at 14:28, Peter F. Patel-Schneider wrote:
> On 02/26/2016 01:52 AM, Reto Gmür wrote:

> >> Of course it can. It only follows that the values of this particular
> >> property are all in some other part of the range. According to the
> >> schema.org definition of rangeIncludes, this is quite permissible.
> >
> > I'm not getting you.
> >
> > from
> >
> > (1) :Cat owl:disjointWith :Dog .
> > (2) ex:prop1 rdfs:range :Dog .
> >
> > It follows that: (3) "no value of the property ex:prop1 can be an of
> > type :Cat".
> >
> > Do we agree till here?
> >
> > (4) ex:prop1 s:rangeIncludes :Cat
> >
> > means: (5) "The class :Cat is an expected type for values of the
> > property ex:prop1"
> >
> > Do you agree that (5) follows from (4) when using the definition from
> > http://schema.org/rangeIncludes?
>
> No.  This sentence reads as if each expected type for a property is the
> type
> of all values of the property.  This is not the case at all in
> schema.org.
>
> Even the slightly weaker statement at https://schema.org/rangeIncludes is
> not
> suitable.  The wording there "Relates a property to a class that
> constitutes
> (one of) the expected type(s) for values of the property." also reads as
> if
> each expected type is supposed to be a type of all values of the
> property.
>
> > Agreeing to both (4) and (5) boils down to:
> >
> >  - :cat is an impossible type for values of the property ex:prop1
> >  - :cat is an expected type for values of the property ex:prop1
>
> Not exactly.  "Impossible" is a very strong word here, even stronger than
> contradictory.  It is certainly possible for a value of a property to
> have a
> type that contradicts the range of the property.  It just triggers a
> contradiction (or maybe even something with even less import), which does
> what
> contradictions (or whatever) do in the setup one is currently working in.

Doesn't "p rdfs:range t" mean that it is *necessary* for all objects of
p to be of type t? If so by modal logic it is *impossible* for an object
of p not to be of type t.

In how far do you see impossible as stronger than contradictory? If I
ask why something is impossible I'm happy with an answer that proofs
that it would contradict itself or one of the axioms. What more do you
need for impossibility?

> > Using the first definition of "Expect" from the oxford dictionary as
> > "Regard (something) as likely to happen", I think there is a
> > contradiction between asserting that something is impossible and that
> > something is expected.
>
> Certainly there would be something odd going on in an extended schema.org
> setup if one of the rangeIncludes of a property were disjoint from a true
> range of the property.  I do not, however, believe that this oddness is
> anything near a strong contradiction (i.e., something that causes all
> information to be meaningless).

I think that for any charitable interpretation of
https://schema.org/rangeIncludes for "p schema:rangeIncludes t" to hold
it must be  *possible* for an object of p to be of type t.

Of course being "likely" means more than being "possible" but the former
implies the latter and possibility is all that is needed to create a
contradiction with statements of necessity and negation.

Reto