Re: Handling multiple rdfs:ranges

Hi Fabian, Reto and Graham,

That is good news that most ontologies use owl:UnionOf and somewhere
Bioportal does the same. It may be somewhere else in the stack that is
causing queries such as the following:

PREFIX bpo: <http://www.semanticweb.org/ontologies/2010/10/BPO.owl#>

SELECT ?x
WHERE {
bpo:has_event rdfs:domain ?x .
}

to return multiple types, where it should return one owl:unionOf
collection, as Graham describes.

Reto's suggestion of using schema:rangeIncludes matches the *some*
semantics, informally at least. Do you know whether there is an established
model theory for the semantics of this predicate; and, perhaps more
importantly, whether there is significant adoption?

Regarding monotonicity, if we take AZ's nice example again. Assume that we
design a dataset using ex:myProperty rdfs:domain ex:Person, containing
Graham (for comic effect only, no offence) as the subject of a triple with
property ex:myProperty. In an open world, someone can come along and extend
the ontology with ex:myProperty rdfs:domain ex:Woman; and now.. Graham is
inferred to be a woman. The hypothetical weaker semantic for multiple
domain/range wouldn't make the same mistake.

Is this the kind of monotonicity problem you mean, or was there a different
monotonicity problem in fact in favour of the stronger semantics?

Best regards,

Ross