Re: Astronomy meets Semantic Web/Linked Data?

I listened to a couple of talks of prof. Shrinivas Kulkarni from Caltech,
about Time-Domain Astronomy.
Time-Domain Astronomy is about identifying interesting astronomical events
(like a supernova) by observation of a same piece of sky at different times.
Huge amounts of image data is generated by telescopes over the world and
they have to be analysed to get the useful information.
Human astronomers cannot keep up with all the data and so there is a
sequence of automatic steps carried on by machines (including activating
and controlling robotic telescopes for further investigation).
The first steps are on the computer vision/machine learning side, but then
there is the need to *reason* about the gathered features and to *integrate
heterogeneous data* in which I think there could be room for Semantic Web
technologies (with an emphasis on the "Semantic" word, for once...).

Best,
Miguel