Re: temporary urn:predicates

On 13 July 2015 at 15:42, Urs Holzer <urs@andonyar.com> wrote:

> On Tue, Jun 30, 2015 at 04:59:29PM +0200, Melvin Carvalho wrote:
> > I was talking recently about barriers to producing semantic web data.
> >
> > Normally a predicate has to be
> >
> > - A URI
> > - Preferably an HTTP URI
> > - Preferably an existing URI
> >
> > This (Im told) can be a barrier for newcomers.  They have to find the
> right
> > name for a predicate, the right URI, and then see if it's already used.
> If
> > not create their own vocabulary.
> >
> > At this point some might give up.
> >
> > So I was wondering how it might be possible to create a temporary URI
> that
> > people could use as a place holder, so the software still works, until
> they
> > think of a better name.
> > [...]
>
> One can use a UUID URN as a namespace: http://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc4122
> For example <urn:uuid:19b75eab-77bd-46a7-a9c6-1ff0fd135a56#>

Thanks, yes I use this.

> There is also a URN namespace for examples:
> http://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc6963

It seems to me that when a variable is "just a name" then urn: as a URI
being "just a name" seems a very good fit.

I've had a look at some, but not all, of the sub namespaces within URN.  It
seems hard to pick one over the other, and that the top level of urn: was
designed for exactly this use case, and therefore, could be the easiest
place to build consensus around ... I could be wrong!