Re: Why this ontology is not marked as inconsistent?

From: Miguel <miguel.ceriani@gmail.com>
Date: Sat, 22 Aug 2015 18:54:57 +0000
To: Mauro Dragoni <dragoni@fbk.eu>, Semantic Web <semantic-web@w3.org>
Dear Mauro,
there is in fact no inconsistency (not in the open-world assumption that is
implied in OWL).
"W1" is a "Worker" by definition, but it is also a "Customer" for being
part of the range of the "hasCustomer" property.

To have some inconsistency you should say either that (e.g.):
1) "Customer" is disjoint with "Worker"; or
2) the class "Customer" contains exactly only the instance "C1"; or
3) the individual "W1" is not a "Customer".

In a "closed-world setting" you may expect 3) to be true because you do not
explicitly state "W1 is a Customer".
By the open-world assumption, instead, anything that you do not explicitly
negate can still be true.

Best,
Miguel