Re: rdfs.org and VoID ontology unavailable

Thanks for the rapid response, Achille.

It is unfortunately still a common situation on the Semantic Web that
vocabularies go AWOL, so I'm happy to learn that this should not be
the case for VoID and that you are still active and willing to put in
the effort to maintain the rdfs.org vocabularies. I know it is holiday
season, so thank you.

Community-wide we should still consider how to address this concern -
is LOV considered the de facto archive of ontologies? (how can we
mirror LOV? Are there licensing issues?)

Even when using redirectional services like purl.org and w3id.org such
a situation can be tricky if the original maintainers have also given
up control. At least for change-request systems like w3id.org there is
the possibility to propose a community-led "hostile takeover" of a
namespace - given that an archive of the ontologies (and JSON-LD
contexts) exists and are legally redistributable.

--
Stian Soiland-Reyes, eScience Lab
School of Computer Science