W3C home > Mailing lists > Public > semantic-web@w3.org > September 2014

Re: SPARQL Profile for PATCH [was Re: LDP Patch Format FPWD published]

From: Alexandre Bertails <alexandre@bertails.org>
Date: Sat, 20 Sep 2014 21:42:12 -0400
Message-ID: <CANvn8kx-vJwydMmkcZ6E-Lq+7yXOuCxzWKLys_3T9OvYsnT5SQ@mail.gmail.com>
To: david@dbooth.org
Cc: "Eric Prud'hommeaux" <eric@w3.org>, semantic-web <semantic-web@w3.org>, public-ldp <public-ldp@w3.org>, public-ldp-comments@w3.org, "Eric Prud'hommeaux" <ericw3c@gmail.com>
Hi David,

On Sat, Sep 20, 2014 at 9:14 PM,  <david@dbooth.org> wrote:
> On 19.09.2014 22:02, Eric Prud'hommeaux wrote:
>>
>> On Sep 19, 2014 11:03 PM, "David Booth" <david@dbooth.org> wrote:
>>  . . .  I am very glad to
>> see progress toward supporting an RDF PATCH operation, and I am glad
>> to see the thinking that has gone into ensuring simplicity.  However,
>> I also have concerns about inventing a new syntax.

First of all, thanks for taking the time to review the document.

>>  >
>>  > Overall, I think progress would be better served if, instead of
>> inventing a new syntax, a simple restricted set of operations were
>> defined as a *profile* of SPARQL 1.1 Update operations.  I think this
>> would provide important benefits over inventing a new syntax:
>>
>> The front matter of the LDP Patch document included links to some
>> alternative proposals. http://www.w3.org/2001/sw/wiki/SparqlPatch [2]
>> seems the closest to what you propose. Can you say whether it or one
>> of the other proposals is closest to what you had in mind?
>
>
> There are two issues: (a) whether LDP Patch invents a new language versus
> using a subset of SPARQL 1.1 Update; and (b) what choice of capabilities it
> should support.  My comment was addressing only the first of these two
> issues: I think it would be significantly advantageous to use a subset of
> SPARQL 1.1 Update rather than inventing a new language.
>
> I did not look closely at the differences in capabilities supported by
> SparqlPatch [2] versus the current draft of LD Patch [1], so I do not know
> exactly how their capabilities compare,

I happen to have written quite a long blog post answering all those
questions [4] and more. I had started to write it before your first
email, but you will find my answers to the remarks from your first
email.

> but my assumption is that they are
> different and the working group as a whole thought that the capabilities
> reflected in LD Patch [1] would be a better set to standardize than those in
> SparqlPatch [2].

To be clear, the group is still looking for feedback even if the LD
Patch approach is what satisfies most of the participants at this
point.

>  For this reason my intent was only to push for using
> *some* SPARQL 1.1 Update subset, but let the working group decide what
> subset of capabilities that should be.  My assumption was that the working
> group would choose a subset similar to what is currently defined in LD Patch
> [1] (but using a subset of SPARQL 1.1 Update instead of inventing a new
> language).

If I understand you well, you think that it is ok to change the
requirements as long as the solution is a subset of SPARQL Update. My
take is that we must first agree on the requirements in the context of
LDP, and only then see if there exists such a subset of SPARQL Update.

Alexandre

[4] http://bertails.org/2014/09/20/why-ldpatch

>
> I hope that clarifies.
>
> Thanks!
> David
>
>>
>> Links:
>> ------
>> [1] http://www.w3.org/TR/2014/WD-ldpatch-20140918/
>> [2] http://www.w3.org/2001/sw/wiki/SparqlPatch
>> [3] http://www.w3.org/TR/2014/WD-ldpatch-20140918/
>
>
Received on Sunday, 21 September 2014 01:46:28 UTC

This archive was generated by hypermail 2.3.1 : Tuesday, 1 March 2016 07:42:53 UTC