Re: SPARQL Profile for PATCH [was Re: LDP Patch Format FPWD published]

On Sep 19, 2014 11:03 PM, "David Booth" <david@dbooth.org> wrote:

> On 09/18/2014 06:30 PM, Arnaud Le Hors wrote:
>>
>> Hi all,
>>
>> I'm pleased to announce that the LDP WG just published the Linked Data
>> Patch Format First Public Working Draft:
>> _http://www.w3.org/TR/2014/WD-ldpatch-20140918/_
>>
>> I want to stress that the WG is seeking feedback from the community at
>> large on the direction being proposed.
>

> Thank you for the work that has gone into this!  I am very glad to see
progress toward supporting an RDF PATCH operation, and I am glad to see the
thinking that has gone into ensuring simplicity.  However, I also have
concerns about inventing a new syntax.

> Overall, I think progress would be better served if, instead of inventing
a new syntax, a simple restricted set of operations were defined as a
*profile* of SPARQL 1.1 Update operations.  I think this would provide
important benefits over inventing a new syntax:

The front matter of the LDP Patch document included links to some
alternative proposals. http://www.w3.org/2001/sw/wiki/SparqlPatch seems the
closest to what you propose. Can you say whether it or one of the other
proposals is closest to what you had in mind?

>  - Users would not have to learn yet another syntax that is confusingly
similar to SPARQL.   Using a single language decreases development and
maintenance costs.

>  - Implementers could simply plug in an existing general-purpose SPARQL
engine to get a new system up and running quickly.  Later if they decide
that it is worth the development cost to optimize performance, they could
replace the general-purpose SPARQL engine with special-purpose engine that
is stripped down and optimized for this profile.

>  - Implementers would have the option of supporting additional SPARQL 1.1
Update operations, beyond what the profile requires, in a consistent 100%
compatible way.

> I suggest that the LDP working group define an RDF PATCH operation as a
*profile* of SPARQL 1.1 Update, restricted to a set of operations similar
to those defined in the current Linked Data Patch Format draft: