Re: Property or class?

On Mon, Sep 1, 2014 at 4:39 PM, Diogo FC Patrao <djogopatrao@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi Victor
>
> I faced a similar problem years ago and went with "X a P"; in my case, X is
> a patient instance and P a diagnosis. The alternative was "X :hasDiagnosis
> P". Some thoughts:
>
> X a P
> Pro: P can be modelled as a Class, which is adequate (diagnostics can be
> hierarchic), inference is fast
> Con: If I have other classes attributed to X, and want to know the
> subclasses related to diagnostic, It'll be more difficult (yet not
> impossible)
>
> X :hasDiagnosis P
> Pro: easier to query when several different diagnosis (see Con above)
> Con: I would need to create an instance for each diagnostic class (ie. flu a
> Flu, patient1 :hasDiagnosis flu), or relate the instance directly to the
> class (OWL-Full)

Hm, but what's wrong with modeling X as an instance of (:hasDiagnosis
some P), i.e. an instance of a complex class with an existential
restriction on :hasDiagnosis? Then you'd still model P as a class, you
will fit into the polynomial OWL EL profile (if you care about
reasoning performance), and you won't need to create an explicit
instance of P for every X.

If there are many Xs with a P-diagnosis, you could create a class
PDiagPatient SubClassOf (:hasDiagnosis some P) and then just say X a
PDiagPatient.

Cheers,
Pavel

PS. I'm using the Manchester syntax for (:hasDiagnosis some P), hope
the semantics is clear.