Re: scientific publishing process (was Re: Cost and access)

On 2014-10-08 15:55, Phillip Lord wrote:
> I'm always at a bit of a loss when I read this sort of thing. Kerning,
> seriously? We can't share scientific content in HTML because of kerning?
>
> In practice, web browsers do a perfectly reasonable job of text layout,
> in real time, and do it in a way that allows easy reflowing. The
> thing about Sarven's LNCS style sheets, for instance, is that I like the
> most is that I can turn them off; I don't like the LNCS format.
>
> Having said all of that, 5 minutes of googling suggests that, kerning
> support is in Canditate Recommendation form from W3C, and at least three
> different JS libraries that support it.

I forgot to mention in my earlier email to Luca, but here would do. On a
more general note, the W3C Digital Publishing Interest Group is in fact
- actually I paraphrase, but someone that's active can chime in -
investigating these type of things, to see to what extent they would be
supported via W3C Recommendations, and to cooperate with relevant W3C WG
[1]. So, something like this could be raised at DPUB IG or to see if
they have to say anything. See the "List of current DIGPUB IG Task
Forces". There is also [2] which can serve as discussion points as to
what could be implemented for text layout and pagination.

[1] http://www.w3.org/dpub/IG/wiki/Main_Page
[2] http://www.w3.org/TR/dpub-latinreq/

-Sarven