Re: scientific publishing process (was Re: Cost and access)

Hi Sarven,
Congratulations for kicking off a thread that has received over 150 replies across two W3 lists in a week.  That is impressive!  This isn't the first time (nor the last) that it has been discussed.  The active discussion reaffirms the need to drive a closer dialog between Web technologists & publishers for scientific publishing.

One gets the sense, there is serious depth of expertise on the publishing workflow on these lists. People have taken considerable time to reply & be constructive with ideas to advance the effort.  Thanks.

Can anyone advise on whether the publishers in 2014 are in fact on the 'front lines' of defining these standards that affect their core business, i.e., Web standards that are the foundation for layout & typography?

Is this an opportunity for W3C members to take this up as a topic for discussion at the upcoming TPAC?  Perhaps this is already scheduled?  W3C staffers, any guidance on this?

I still content there is a great business opportunity for an entrepreneurial Web publishing-savvy team to build something really useful & immediately have 1000+ researchers provide feedback & drive use.

Cheers,

Bernadette Hyland
CEO, 3 Round Stones, Inc.

http://3roundstones.com
http://about.me/bernadettehyland

PS.  It's also clear, your PhD dissertation topic is of keen interest Sarven!!  We'd like to read it when you're done (no pressure ;-)