Re: Cost and access (Was Re: [ESWC 2015] First Call for Paper)

On 3 Oct 2014 16:06, Phillip Lord <phillip.lord@newcastle.ac.uk> wrote:

> Eric Prud'hommeaux <eric@w3.org> writes:
>
> > Let's work through the requirements and a plausible migration plan. We need:
> >
> > 1 persistent storage: it's hard to beat books for a feeling of persistence.
> > Contracts with trusted archival institutions can help but we might also
> > want some assurances that the protocols and formats will persist as well.
>
> In my area, the majority of journals aren't printed; I've thrown away
> conference proceedings the last decade anyway.
>
> Protocols and formats, yes, true a problem. I think in an argument
> between HTML and PDF, then it's hard to see one has the advantage over
> another. My experience is that HTML is easier to extract text from,
> which is always going to be base line.
>
> For what it is worth, there are achiving solutions, including
> archive.org and arxiv.org both of which leap to mind.
>

> > 2 impact factor: i have the impression that conventional publishers have a
> > bit of a monopoly and and sudden disruption would be hard to engineer. How
> > do to get leading researchers to devote their work in some new crackpot
> > e-journal to the exclusion of other articles which will earn them more
> > points towards tenure and grants? Perhaps the answer is slowly build the
> > impact factor; perhaps it's some sort of revolution in the minds of
> > administrators and funders.
>
> This is true. So, if the reason that ESWC and ISWC only accept papers in
> PDF is because we need LNCS for tenure and that they will only take PDF,
> it would be good to have a public statement about this.

I think PDF is only at the submission stage. For camera ready the source file (s) - latex or word - are required.

Also in this brave new world, how would the length of a submission be determined?

Alasdair

> As it stands, the only statement that the semantic web community are
> making is that web formats are too poor for scientific usage.
>

> > I work towards a network of actionable data just like the rest of you so I
> > don't want to discourage this conversation; I just want to focus it.
>
> Okay. I would like to know who made the decision that HTML is not
> acceptable and why.
>
> Phil

-----
We invite research leaders and ambitious early career researchers to
join us in leading and driving research in key inter-disciplinary themes.
Please see www.hw.ac.uk/researchleaders for further information and how
to apply.

registered under charity number SC000278.