Re: scientific publishing process (was Re: Cost and access)

On 10/06/2014 10:44 AM, Phillip Lord wrote:
> "Peter F. Patel-Schneider" <pfpschneider@gmail.com> writes:

>>> Yeah, you have to tell it to do mathml. The problem is that older
>>> versions of the browsers don't render mathml, and image rendering was
>>> the only option.
>>
>> Well, then someone is going to have to tell people how to do this.  What I saw
>> for htlatex was that it just did the right thing.
>

> So, htlatex is part of TeX4Ht which does HTML.
>
> If you do xhmlatex then you get XHTML with, indeed, math mode in MathML.
> So, for example, this output comes with the default xhmlatex.
>
> <math
>   xmlns="http://www.w3.org/1998/Math/MathML"
> display="inline" ><mi
>> e</mi> <mo
> class="MathClass-rel">=</mo> <mi
>> m</mi><msup><mrow
>> <mi
>> c</mi></mrow><mrow
>> </math>
>
> tex4ht takes the slight strange approach of having an strange and
> incomprehensible command line, and then lots of scripts which do default
> options, of which xhmlatex is one. In my installation, they've only put
> the basic ones into the path, so I ran this with
> /usr/share/tex4ht/xhmlatex.
>

> Phil

So someone has to package this up so that it can be easily used.  Before then,
how can it be required for conferences?

I have tex4ht installed, but there is no xhmlatex file to be found.  I managed
to find what appears to be a good command line

htlatex schema-org-analysis.tex "xhtml,mathml" " -cunihtf" "-cvalidate"

This looks better when viewed, but the resultant HTML is unintelligible.

There is definitely more work needed here before this can be considered as a
potential solution.

peter