Re: scientific publishing process (was Re: Cost and access)

It's not hard to query PDFs with SPARQL.  All you have to do is extract the
metadata from the document and turn it into RDF, if needed.  Lots of programs
extract and display this metadata already.

No, I don't think that viewing this issue from the reviewer perspective is too
narrow.  Reviewers form  a vital part of the scientific publishing process.
Anything that makes their jobs harder or the results that they produce worse
is going to have to have very large benefits over the current setup.  In any
case, I haven't been looking at the reviewer perspective only, even in the
message quoted below.

peter

PS:  This is *not* to say that I think that the reviewing process is anywhere
near ideal.  On the contrary, I think that the reviewing process has many
problems, particularly as it is performed in CS conferences.