Re: Cost and access (Was Re: [ESWC 2015] First Call for Paper)

I think that this is at the core of the problem:

> 2 impact factor: i have the impression that conventional publishers have a
> bit of a monopoly and and sudden disruption would be hard to engineer. How
> do to get leading researchers to devote their work in some new crackpot
> e-journal to the exclusion of other articles which will earn them more
> points towards tenure and grants? Perhaps the answer is slowly build the
> impact factor; perhaps it's some sort of revolution in the minds of
> administrators and funders.

publishers also own impact factors. in addition, impact factors are thought
for printed material not for the web, not to talk about the web of data.
there are the alt metrics but those are yet to prove their validity.

I keep wondering if html and pdfs are the only options. why not having a
real web-of-data native format?

--
Alexander Garcia
http://www.alexandergarcia.name/