Re: What should we call RDF's ability to allow multiple models to peacefully coexist, interconnected?

On 9 Mar 2014, at 00:59, Sampo Syreeni <decoy@iki.fi> wrote:

> On 2014-03-07, Bernard Vatant wrote:
>
>> Seems to me a good illustration of peaceful coexistence of data models is given by LoC MARC relators http://id.loc.gov/vocabulary/relators.html Each of them is at the same type owl:ObjectProperty, skos:Concept, mads:Topic ... Parse what you like, ignore the rest ...
>
> Yes. Indeed. That really is a prime example of doublespeak-readiness. The only way you could make it double-plus-gooder would have been to reify the whole lot and sign two separate subsets of the eventual output with two separate keys. Preferably one from LoC, and one from the Juche Party.
> --
> Sampo Syreeni, aka decoy - decoy@iki.fi, http://decoy.iki.fi/front
> +358-40-3255353, 025E D175 ABE5 027C 9494 EEB0 E090 8BA9 0509 85C2

Actually, I think this is a rather poor example of what (I think) we are talking about.
Essentially, it looks like some simple aliases, which wouldn’t impress most developers consuming them an awful lot.

I think that the power comes with having different representations with structural differences.
And we actually have a very, very simple example of it in RDF all over the place - FOAF.

So we have foaf:familyName, foaf:firstName and foaf:name
(OK, I know the domains are different, but we can gloss over that if we are talking to a developer about data about people.)
And of course you can bring foaf:title into the mix, but the three are enough.

Typically they are all used together as in David’s FOAF file:
<foaf:name>David Booth</foaf:name>
<foaf:givenname>David</foaf:givenname>
<foaf:family_name>Booth</foaf:family_name>

Anyone who has rendered contact information on a web page (or processed a typical spreadsheet of contact data) will have faced the issues.

The differently structured representations of the similar data co-exist very comfortably.
Of course, I say similar because there is actually different knowledge being represented in terms of preferred name orderings, etc., but that is part of the value.

Cheers
--
Hugh Glaser
   20 Portchester Rise