 Subject: Re: Call for Linked Research
 To: "Sarven Capadisli" <info@csarven.ca>
 Cc: "Linking Open Data" <public-lod@w3.org>, "SW-forum" <semantic-web@w3.org>
 Date: Monday, July 28, 2014, 9:16 AM

 I'd add to all of
 this publishing the raw data,  source code,  and
 industrialized procedures so that results are
 truly reproducible,  as
 few results in
 science actually are.
 ᐧ

 On Mon, Jul 28, 2014 at 9:01 AM, Sarven
 Capadisli <info@csarven.ca>
 wrote:
 > Call for Linked Research
 > ========================
 >
 > Purpose: To encourage
 the "do it yourself" behaviour for sharing and
 reusing
 > research knowledge.
 >
 > Deadline: As soon as
 you can.

 :

 > Scientists and researchers who work in Web
 Science have to follow the rules
 > that
 are set by the publisher; researchers need to have read and
 reuse
 > access to other researchers work,
 and adopt archaic desktop-native

 publishing workflows. Publishers try to remain as the
 middleman for
 > society’s knowledge
 acquisition.

 Nowadays, there is more machine-friendly data and
 documentation made
 > available by the
 public sector than the Linked Data research community.
 The
 > general public asks for open and
 machine-friendly data, and they are

 following up. Web research publishing on the other hand, is
 stuck on one ★
 > (star) Linked Data
 deployment scheme. The community has difficulty eating
 > its own dogfood for research publication,
 and fails to deliver its share of
 > the
 "promise".

 > There is a social problem. Not a technical
 one. If you think that there is

 something fundamentally wrong with this picture, want to
 voice yourself, and
 > willing to continue
 to contribute to the Semantic Web vision, then please
 > consider the following before you write
 about your research:

 > Linked Research: Do It Yourself
 >
 > 1. Publish your
 research and findings at a Web space that you control.

 > 2. Publish your
 progress and work following the Linked Data design
 > principles. Create a URI for everything
 that is of some value to you and may
 > be
 to others e.g., hypothesis, workflow steps, variables,
 provenance,
 > results etc.
 >
 > 3. Reuse and link to
 other researchers URIs of value, so nothing goes to
 > waste or reinvented without good
 reason.

 > 4. Provide
 screen and print stylesheets, so that it is legible on
 screen
 > devices and can be printed to
 paper or output to desktop-native document
 > formats. Create a copy of a view for the
 research community to fulfil

 organisational requirements.

 > 5. Announce your work publicly so that
 people and machines can discover it.

 > 6. Have an open comment system policy for
 your document so that any person
 > (or
 even machines) can give feedback.

 > 7. Help and encourage others to do the
 same.

 > There is no
 central authority to make a judgement on the value of
 your
 > contributions. You do not need
 anyone’s permission to share your work, you
 > can do it yourself, meanwhile others can
 learn and give feedback.

 --
 Paul Houle
 Expert on Freebase,