Best practices for naming and referring to void:Datasets

From: Svensson, Lars <L.Svensson@dnb.de>
Date: Mon, 14 Jul 2014 15:33:49 +0000
To: "semantic-web@w3.org" <semantic-web@w3.org>
All,

I have a question on how to best identify and describe datasets with void. I've read the documentation [1], but couldn't figure out which is the best approach...

Let's assume I have three datasets: foo, bar and baz. The entities in each dataset have URIs like http://data.example.org/foo/*, http://data.example.org/bar/* and http://data.example.org/baz/*. This implies that e. g. http://data.example.org/foo could be a nice URI to identify the dataset foo. When I look at the recipes for how to construct my dataset description, however, it seems I could either

1) use hash URIs from the site root (e. g. http://data.example.org#foo), or
2) place the individual dataset descriptions at the dataset level (e. g. use http://data.example.org/foo as the dataset identifier and then use content negotiation to show either html or RDF).

The question is: If I choose the second approach, how do I link from http://data.example.org/ to the individual dataset descriptions? If I at http://data.example.org simply do this:

<> a void:DatasetDescription ;
	dcterms:title "A void file for all of my data"@en .
<http://data.example.org/foo> a void:Dataset .
<http://data.example.org/bar> a void:Dataset .
<http://data.example.org/baz> a void:Dataset .

and then at the respective URIs example:foo, example:bar and example:baz publish

<> a void:Dataset ;
	dcterms:title "The Foo Dataset" ;
	dcterms:contributor <http://example.org> ;
	dcterms:license <http://www.opendatacommons.org/odc-public-domain-dedication-and-licence/> .

can I then expect crawlers that start at <http://data.example.org> to automagically continue to crawl the data from the individual datasets, or do I explicitly need to link from the void:DatasetDescription to the void:Datasets à la

<> a void:DatasetDescription ;
	...:describes <http://data.example.org/foo> , <http://data.example.org/bar> , <http://data.example.org/baz> .

? (If so, which property should I use for ...:describes?).

[1] http://www.w3.org/TR/void/#deploying

Thanks in advance for any advice,

Lars

*** Lesen. Hören. Wissen. Deutsche Nationalbibliothek ***
--
Dr. Lars G. Svensson
Deutsche Nationalbibliothek