 From: Aidan Hogan <aidan.hogan@deri.org>
To: Enrico Franconi <franconi@inf.unibz.it>
Cc: PAUL WARREN <paul.w.warren@btinternet.com>; Dave Reynolds <dave.e.reynolds@gmail.com>; "semantic-web@w3.org" <semantic-web@w3.org>
Sent: Thursday, 30 January 2014, 18:42
Subject: Re: Deduced property

On 30/01/2014 14:55, Enrico Franconi wrote:

> On 30 Jan 2014, at 16:29, Aidan Hogan <aidan.hogan@deri.org> wrote:
>
>> Paul, I think Dave's advice is sound: as tempting as it might be, it is *not* helpful to talk about OWL subsumption using phrases like inheritance. This will do more harm than good (esp. since the counter-examples will heavily outweigh the examples).
>
> Not really.
> "Inheritance" (in the object oriented sense) holds true in DL: a property of all the *objects* of a superclass is inherited to all the *objects* of the subclass.
> So, if class C is subsumed by class D, then if all the objects in class D have a property P, then all the objects in class C have the property P.
> This is true in Java, description logics, OWL, Smalltalk, CLOS, etc.

Yes but I think this is quite a jump away from the topic of the thread
so far. We were discussing the (lack of) "inheritance" of transitivity
in properties.

Your argument specifically relates to one feature of OWL:
someValuesFrom. Indeed there's some notion of "inheritance" in an
object-oriented sense here (as well as for the other property-based
restrictions on classes). But again this is only a subset of the
features of OWL (and not the ones we were discussing).

Some "features" of OWL are "inherited". Others are not.

a sCO b. b equivClass c . ⊬ a equivClass c .
a sPO b . b inverseOf c . ⊬ a inverseOf c .
a sPO b . b equivProp c . ⊬ a equivProp c .
a sPO b . b type SymProp . ⊬ a type SymProp .
a sPO b . b type TransProp . ⊬ a type TransProp .

... I still maintain my original point that it is *not* helpful to talk
about OWL subsumption using phrases like inheritance. :)

Cheers,
Aidan