Re: Transmitting deltas [was Re: Efficient RDF Interchange, Re: Zippy]

From: Andy Seaborne <andy.seaborne@epimorphics.com>
Date: Wed, 19 Feb 2014 11:15:14 +0000
To: semantic-web@w3.org

On 19/02/14 04:00, David Booth wrote:
> On 02/18/2014 01:20 PM, Stephen Williams wrote:
>> [ . . . ]
>> Has anyone been working on compact, efficient binary representation of
>> RDF/N-Quads or similar?  Chunking / deltas?
>> Does anyone want to work on these problems?
>
> I am interested in transmitting deltas, though so far I have only been
> casually thinking about the problem and looking around a little.  I
> would be most interested in a solution that is parameterized by the
> delta algorithm, so that it could be used with any data and any delta
> algorithm -- not just RDF.

Our (me and Rob Vesse) contribution:

http://afs.github.io/rdf-patch/

which is designed for sending changes around, both streaming and as a
batch.  To get scale, streaming is important.

Using RDF directly leads to significant overheads; OK up to a point.
Both using RDF and any subset of SPARQL can't deal with bNodes.

	Andy