Re: GoodRelations for publishing data

Dear Cristiano:
Thanks for your email. The answer is no - I do not know of any e-commerce portal that crawls and aggregates product / offer information from anonymous sites and provides a “meta shopping cart”.

What is happening / will be happening is that if product model master data (like technical specifications / data sheets) are marked up with schema.org/GoodRelations, major search engines and other consumers of markup will likely use those to augment offer data from individual shops, based on strong product identifiers.

For offers, I do not expect a lot of content syndication into “meta shopping carts”, mainly for legal reasons - the paradigm of offering some else’s offers implies legal and business risk, so there will always be a kind of sign-on process for participating merchants. You can also see that most price comparison engines now require a legal agreement from merchants prior to relaying their feeds.

For product model data from manufacturer sites, on the contrary, I expect a lot impact of publishing data about features and maybe media materials. Many applications will use those to augment offer data from a single site (e.g. Sony publishes the full data sheet, a shop publishes just a short text and UOC/EAN/GTIN-13 code —> Google/Bing/Yahoo/Yandex will show data sheet and offer side-by-side),

Martin