Re: DCAT and catalog entries

Hi Cristiano,

> On 14 Dec 2014, at 10:07, Cristiano Longo <longo@dmi.unict.it> wrote:
>
> Dear list readers,
> I just started studying the Data Catalogue Vocabulary (DCAT, http://www.w3.org/TR/vocab-dcat/), but I have some doubts. If I understood, DCAT can be used to model catalogues of datasets, and not datasets by itself.

Correct.

> Thus the dcat:Dataset instances represent datasets or entries in catalogues?

Datasets. To represent entries in catalogs, use dcat:CatalogRecord.

> The CatalogRecord class can be used to provide additional meta-information about an entry in a catalogue, am I right?

Yes.

> Does a catalog record some relationships with distributions of the dataset the entry refers to?

I don't understand the question.

> Now, let us suppose that I have the same dataset reported in two different catalogues, which reports different (not necessarily contraddictory) information. Should I have a single dataset instance and two catalog records, or two dataset instances as well?

“Instance” is not a terribly useful concept in RDF. This isn't OO.

There *is* just a single dataset anyway, according to your supposition. The question is just whether you refer to that dataset by a single name (IRI) in both catalogues, or by two different names (where asserting owl:sameAs between them would be correct). There is nothing wrong with either approach, and which one to choose depends on various practical considerations.

Best,
Richard