Re: The ability to automatically upgrade a reference to HTTPS from HTTP

Marc,
I would this this is a question, if phrased well, for Information Security
Stack Exchange <http://security.stackexchange.com/>
(security.stackexchange.com/)
I agree there is an issue of why there is a move to https.
I assume that it is correct, there is such a trend.
But is that volume of traffic, distinct addresses, or both?
It only makes sense as a trend where there is data being exchanged that
needs to be protected.
If we are talking about the fact of viewing a particular web site, as
opposed to the facts of how the web site was viewed (activity on that
site), https won't help.

Off topic but of attendant interest:-

I did just have a casual conversation with someone from Samsung research
who, without implying anything about their own research or suggesting any
solutions, thought that
a. It is an issue that, even if the person as client cannot be identified
using https, the site being served and the location by building of the
client can be identified, by an interested third party.
b. It is not possible to re-engineer the web, for instance to use
WebID-TLS, as I suggested to him. Moreover, while information maybe owned
by an individual, there is no bar on that information being copied out of
the frame of the permissions the data owner would like to impose.

I'm not sure about this last point.
But I do think there is a broader point which is that the internet is, in
one of its primary uses, a communication medium between people and, as
such, people should have an alternative to broadcast mode.
How that is engineered it seems would be on a use case by use case basis.
As an obvious example, this list isn't 'broadcast' but neither are there
particular privacy arrangements.

Adam

Adam Saltiel