Re: SemWeb in use reviews

Hi Norman,

On Tue, Aug 12, 2014 at 04:14:19PM +0100, Norman Gray wrote:

> Can anyone point me towards published reviews of Semantic Web
> take-up / penetration / establishment, or other documented variants
> of 'semantic web in use'?
>
> I'm writing a book chapter about the Semantic Web, included in a
> book intended to be of use to archivists and information management
> types.
>
> Any suggestions?  Articles, conference papers, FP7 review deliverables?

I will attend http://ifla2014-satdata.bnf.fr/ tomorrow and considering
the focus of the book you mention, I suggest you take a look at the
papers presented there, as well as the papers presented at IFLA and
ESWC in general. For example the "in-use track" at
http://2013.eswc-conferences.org/program/accepted-papers

To take an example my company helped build: http://data.bnf.fr has now
100,000 unique visitors a month and a continuously increasing number
of RDF downloads through content-negotiation. It holds the equivalent
of a couple hundred millions triples and links to a dozen of external
sites. I know of several applications that reuse that RDF, including
small libraries that now have an on-line catalog "for free", or very
specific catalogs that enrich the "reference data" with their very
focused information. I am obviously biased since I am part of the
project, but I see it as an example of a real semantic web system (or
maybe just LOD) that has been in production for over three years now
and provides actual benefits in terms of lower budget, faster
development and broader (re)uses. The published papers detail the
impact the project had on the library itself and its partners.

HTH,

--
Nicolas Chauvat