Re: Deciphering the Semantic Web [VIDEO]

Hello John,

On Fri, Sep 06, 2013 at 11:42:23AM +0000, Breslin, John wrote:
> What is the Semantic Web? Technology Voice recently interviewed some leading Semantic Web researchers with both academic and industrial experience to find out what it is, why it is needed, and what are the exciting applications of semantic technologies. The results of these interviews are captured in an exclusive 44-minute video, "Deciphering the Semantic Web".
>
> http://tch.vc/thesemanticweb

Thanks! I enjoyed watching this but it also shows the problems with
"selling" that stuff. A video explaining the Web would at some point show a
Browser in action. Here we have people talking about abstract stuff for 44
minutes. And if the video would actually show Semantic Web Apps in action,
people would not be able to tell the difference to normal Apps.

As is said in the video, these technologies act in the background. So why
make a big fuzz about them ? Because they are fun ? Because we want to make
money with them ? Because we think they will make things better ? Probably
all of it but the latter should not be taken for granted and this talk about
data explosions and sensors everywhere that are connected to the Internet
does not have positive connotations for everyone.

I would really like to see the serendipitous discovery mentioned in the video
in a real application. The Semantic Web is here but neither machines nor
humans are really "surfing" it. The interlinking is used but most often not
in an ad hoc way. "Semantic databases" or "URI based data serialization"
seems a more appropriate description of the state of the art than
"Semantic Web".

BTW: What is a knowledge provider ? ;-)

Regards,

Michael Brunnbauer