Re: Deprecate http://www.w3.org/1999/02/22-rdf-syntax-ns# in favour of /ns/rdf# ??

On 29 November 2013 08:41, Phil Archer <phila@w3.org> wrote:
> Thanks everyone for the feedback.
>
> No surprise at the level of opposition to deprecating the namespaces (again,
> I point out in my defence that I raised it after someone asked me about it;
> as a stickler for persistence I'm happy with that outcome).
>
> BUT... this thread has, I think, raised an interesting issue concerning the
> existing namespace documents. Taking the rdf schema as the example, it
> exists as a monolingual RDF/XML file. It sounds as if we could do better?

It has RDF links to a French translation also in RDF/XML! But yes, we
could do better.

> I'd really like to see more schemas with multilingual labels. A current
> example of that would be DCAT [1] which has its labels, comments and usage
> notes in 5 languages. I know that aspect is appreciated in many circles, I'm
> glad we've done it and hope we can see more of that (Sandro's creating a
> tool for helping with that). We already have the RDF Schema *spec* in 3
> other languages [2] so one obvious thing to do would be to add the
> multilingual labels to the namespace docs as well.
>
> We can do that without breaking anything - and I wonder, Richard, whether
> that might be an example of obstacle we could remove??
>
> Documents in /TR space may not be edited at all, ever. Documents like the
> the rdf|s and owl namespace schemas *can* be, although obviously with
> extreme caution not to break anything. Which brings me back to the idea of a
> Community Group to look at that?

Whatever we do, let's do it in RDFa this time. Humans are at least as
important consumers of schemas as computers.

FWIW I think some of the adoption we saw back with the FOAF work
(apart from being there early) came from having namespace URIs
de-reference to (more or less) human readable documentation. Far too
many schema URIs point at a ridiculously unreadable XML file that just
gets saved to disk and can't be opened with any useful tooling.

Dan