Re: Is there a way to identify the a user in a web request?

On 24 May 2013, at 12:14, Leon Derczynski <leon@dcs.shef.ac.uk> wrote:

> It's been traditional for crawlers to specify an email or web URI in the "From:" header of any HTTP requests they make; this could readily be used for an identifying link.
>
> All the best,

You could also use a Link header to put that information.
But you don't really want to be sending this around automatically, and without the user
getting to decide if he wishes to authenticate. with https the server can ask
the client for identifying info, and the client can decide to give it or not.
See http://webid.info/spec

> Leon
>

> On 24 May 2013 11:53, Melvin Carvalho <melvincarvalho@gmail.com> wrote:
> In most communication protocols it's possible to specify a sender
>
> For example, when I send a letter I can write my address on the back
>
> When I make a phone call, it's possible to have "caller display" to see who's calling
>
> When sending an email I can see who the email is from
>
> But on the web, it's not obvious how to do this
>
> Does anyone have a solution to this, or why it may be a bad idea?
>

> --
> Leon R A Derczynski
> Research Associate, NLP Group
>
> Department of Computer Science