Re: Shopping for research venues

I don't know if it's exactly what Sarven wants but PeerJ (https://peerj.com)
publishes great looking html based papers and with RDF metadata for all
their papers. It's also open access.

Thanks
Paul

On Wed, Mar 20, 2013 at 1:11 PM, Andrea Splendiani <
andrea.splendiani@deri.org> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Cannot answer your first question, but I think the idea is worth exploring.
> You would need a few things:
> 1) A guarantee that the content at the page doesn't change without notice,
> so that comments/judgements refer to the correct thing. You can use some
> checksum-based method for this.
> 2) Some consistent format and annotation, to facilitate search. Not only
> from a computational perspective, we rely on some pattern
> (abstract/methods/result) to quickly scan some artifact. So ok, we can have
> some guidelines the research paper need to comply to (so we need a sort of
> validator).
> 3) Some guarantee of persistency. That could be supplemented by an
> established archives that can resolve dead URLs....
> 4) A peer review sort of system, that in this case could be
> post-publication, maybe coupled with some new metrics.
> 5) A selection criteria could be useful as well.
>
> I'm sure you know: http://figshare.com. They store different things (not
> executable), but no peer-review associated.
> For executable content, beside Javacript&webby thing, it could make sense
> to publish virtual machines these days.
>
> best,
> Andrea
>

> Il giorno 20/mar/2013, alle ore 11:36, Sarven Capadisli <info@csarven.ca>
>  ha scritto:
>
> > Dear community,
> >
> > I would like to know which venues (e.g., conferences, journals) are out
> there that accepts research documents in (X)HTML+CSS+JavaScript+MathML+SVG
> etc. as the primary and final format. On that note, which accepts an HTTP
> URI of the research?
> >
> > As far as I know, there are none out there, but I want to be wrong about
> this!
> >
> > What I'm hoping for are a bunch of things:
> >
> > Although not ultimately necessary, a venue to submit to that would have
> some weight given "reviewed and approved" stamps.
> >
> > Not being at the mercy of classical publishers needs when it comes to
> sharing knowledge given the technologies that we have at our disposal.
> >
> > In the absence of such forward-looking venues, I would love to see an
> open discussion on what's really needed to make it happen and be it the
> default approach when it comes to sharing research findings. Pragmatic
> approaches are always welcome, so, this doesn't have to be about "how to we
> make all scholarly publishing get on the Web?", but rather for starters,
> "how do we make scholarly work of Linked Data and Semantic Web researchers
> and practitioners get on the Web"?
> >
> > I don't mean to belittle or overlook the hard work that some groups are
> already actively involved in e.g., Semantic Web Journal, Semantic Web Dog
> Food, FORCE11. I'm merely looking for more out of this community.
> >
> > For those that this sounds desirable, please voice yourself because
> there are indeed many like you!
> >
> > Humbly yours,
> >
> > -Sarven
> [...]

Dr. Paul Groth (p.t.groth@vu.nl)
http://www.few.vu.nl/~pgroth/
Assistant Professor
- Knowledge Representation & Reasoning Group |
  Artificial Intelligence Section | Department of Computer Science
- The Network Institute
VU University Amsterdam