Re: CFP: Journal of Web Semantics special issue on life science and e-science

The Journal of Web Semantics has had an arrangement with Elsevier
since its inception in 2003 allowing us to have a preprint
server.  We've had four different instantiations of the preprint
server, hosted at Maryland, DERI, Manchester and GESIS.  The
first three were based on home-grown code and the current one on
the Open Journal Systems journal management and publishing
software (http://bit.ly/ojspkp). We are fortunate that GESIS, the
Leibniz Institute for the Social Sciences, is willing to host the
site.  It's been a bit of a struggle to find a stable solution to
running our preprint server and we expect that the current
arrangement to continue for the foreseeable future.

Elsevier's current *general* policy on article posting by authors
(http://bit.ly/110Pqbp) does allow

   "Voluntary posting by an author on open websites operated by the
   author or the author’s institution for scholarly purposes, as
   determined by the author, or (in connection with preprints) on
   preprint servers."

There are some special cases (e.g., Cell, Lancet) and may be room
for disagreement on the fine points of the policy language.

Tim