Re: There's No Money in Linked Data

Soren

I agree that there is the need for defining open , however

> Pascal, I somewhat disagree with that statement: there is (and should
> be) a clear (boolean) definition what open means:
> http://opendefinition.org/

 the opendefinition is (or at least was last time I looked at it)

a) not open, and as such systemically flawed
b) not compliant with legal requirements for IP protections (in the berne
convention sense)

I would not use, nor encourage anyone to use it as a valid reference,

There remains work to be done  :-)

PDM

> .
>

> PS: A few days I attended a talk by a German lawyer about data licensing
> and he said that if you publish your data on the Web without access
> control, it is (at least in Germany) not secured by any IPR and everyone
> can (without asking the publisher) use the data, republish it and do
> whatever with it as he pleases.

a lot of lawyers are inexperienced and would lose the case in court,

If this is really true, at least for all
> Germans all data published as Linked Data on the Web without any license
> would be Open Data too ;-)

this would leave a lot of room for lenghthy legal battles, best avoided!!!
 in fact
avoid at all costs!!