Re: Petition to have MIT and US Govt. issue an apologies for prosecuting Aaron Schwartz

There is also this petition at the White House's "We the People":
https://petitions.whitehouse.gov/petition/remove-united-states-district-attorney-carmen-ortiz-office-overreach-case-aaron-swartz/RQNrG1Ck
Very sad and tragic news.

Best
Daniel

On Jan 13, 2013, at 10:20  - 13/01/13, Harry Halpin <hhalpin@ibiblio.org> wrote:

> I made a petition to demand an from MIT and the US Attorney of Massachusetts apologies for their prosecution of Aaron Schwartz, a prosecution that his parents say is partly to blame for his suicide. The US Federal Government is also added since laws on the federal level allow this kind of absurd prosecution. Aaron Schwartz was part of the Semantic Web community and the loss to future generations is tremendous. Feel free to sign:
>
> https://secure.avaaz.org/en/petition/Federal_Government_and_MIT_issue_a_formal_apologies_for_the_death_of_Aaron_Schwartz/?wgeiRd
>
> >From the official statement of Swartz's family:
>
>     "Aaron's death is not simply a personal tragedy. It is the product of a criminal justice system rife with intimidation and prosecutorial overreach. Decisions made by officials in the Massachusetts US Attorney's office and at MIT contributed to his death. The US Attorney's office pursued an exceptionally harsh array of charges, carrying potentially over 30 years in prison, to punish an alleged crime that had no victims. Meanwhile, unlike JSTOR, MIT refused to stand up for Aaron and its own community's most cherished principles."

Daniel Schwabe                      Dept. de Informatica, PUC-Rio
Tel:+55-21-3527 1500 r. 4356        R. M. de S. Vicente, 225
Fax: +55-21-3527 1530               Rio de Janeiro, RJ 22453-900, Brasil
http://www.inf.puc-rio.br/~dschwabe