Re: annotations and RDF

On 07/02/2013 14:54, Paolo Ciccarese wrote:
> We also use CiTO and FaBIO for storing the bibliographic data and
> those are based on FRBR.
Dear Paolo, Robert and Herbert,

I'm in Leiden at a conference with Bob Morris.  We've just had a brief
discussion about the potential use of AO to characterize citations,
where the generic CiTO terms don't provide sufficient expressiveness.
That has prompted me to look at the new Open Annotation Data Model: Open
Annotation Core
<http://www.openannotation.org/spec/core/20130208/core.html> published
last Friday.

That document says "Typically an Annotation has a single Body, which is
the comment or other descriptive resource, and a single Target that the
Body is somehow "about". " Thus oa:hasBody defines the annotation
itself, and oa:hasTarget defines the target of that annotation.

If we now apply that to the situation of a bibliographic citation that
we want to characterize with a new annotation, we must be careful to
note that oa:hasTarget does NOT apply to the cited paper, but rather to
the citation that exists between the citing paper and the cited paper.

So we first need to define the annotation as applying to the citation,
then to define the body of the annotation as something distinct from the
citing paper, and finally to define the target of the annotation as the
citation itself.  What do people think about the following, that uses a
Named Graph to define the citation? Comments welcome!

Kind regards,

David

:citationAnnotation a oa:Annotation ;

oa:hasBody :CommentOnCitation ;

oa:hasTarget :citationNamedGraph ;

oa:motivatedBy oa:commenting .

:CommentOnCitation a fabio:Comment ;

dcterms:description "I'm citing that paper because it initiated this
whole field of research".

:citationNamedGraph {

<Paper_A> cito:cites<Paper_B> .

}

--

Dr David Shotton
Research Data Management and Semantic Publishing Research Group