Re: Versioning system for ontologies

Dear Alan,

On Fri, Apr 19, 2013 at 1:08 PM, Alan Ruttenberg
<alanruttenberg@gmail.com>wrote:

> What you say is certainly of interest. But I would call that change
> tracking and provenance maintenance rather than version control.

I suspect then we may differ in that I interpret version control as a
component part of change tracking and provenance. I'm interested in
ensuring that the ontologies I (my group) have developed satisfy a set of
test cases and audit suites (e.g. competency questions, time
limits) through each version.

I suppose for other use cases, vanilla version control may suffice, but i
would personally be curious about the quality of said ontologies.

> As I said, whatever solution you take, don't forget about publishing your
> ontology according to the spec. There is a tendency, when using such
> systems, to forget about the basics and therefore reduce the network
> effects that accrue from using what we have sweated to specify, in favor of
> using ad-hoc, albeit proximally useful, systems.

Absolutely! Though of course, one can interpret the above as complementary
additions, as opposed to ad hoc or proximally useful :P. It depends on the
intended ontology usage and requirements.

Best,
Ali

--