Re: Versioning system for ontologies

Don't forget about OWL's versionIRI, which gives a way to express that
different versions are of a single ontology. The most basic version control
is to periodically save a file, put it at a location, and make the
versionIRI point to it. Keep the ontologyIRI the same thoughtout. Use
import with the version you care load. At the ontologyIRI put either the
most recent version or the most recent version you release.

There is no need for additional repository infrastructure, though that may
add useful features. Whatever you do, make sure that at a minimum you
version using vanilla specifications, given that they can support that.

I generally recommend you do not change IRIs of terms as you change
versions. Rather,  try to ensure that the referents of your URIs refer to
the same intended entities, and obsolete them if they no longer refer well.

Happy to discuss this offlist if you are interested in my experiences.

Best,
Alan