Re: Socio technical/Qualitative metrics for LD Benchmarks

Thank you Adam

Very interesting points and as you note,  lots and lots of big big issues
there

Scoping is a powerful tool for research management - also a political
research instrument

I appreciate that keeping a tight grip on 'scope' in academic efforts, is a
way to ensure that a project is feasible and technically defensible, and to
avoid that a potentially interesting candid suggestion results in an
explosive  open ended cans of worms that nobody (especially a narrowly
focused computer scientist) would know how to handle.
The discussion about - listhub.w3c.org "rdf semantics and timelessly true"
is fundamental, fascinating and challenging, but difficult to tackle. that
does not mean we can avoid it, although i can understand why one would try
to avoid it.

I also agree that there could scope for one, or ten thousands more funded
projects to deal with these issues in relation to linked data and semantic
web etc, so maybe another consortium could be formed, and this is not
something people like to discuss on public mailing lists.

But as you note, the discussion about the socio-technical aspects is too
 big and too relevant to technical project to be simply dismissed as 'out
of scope' purely  as a defensive measure to ensure that people who have the
project in hand remain capable of managing it.

It would be a mistake  to declare such considerations out of scope, when we
already have the situation in place (the project the people the funding
etc) because one particular member of a consortium refuses to take an
interest in them.

Since this particular project has just been announced, and the community of
practice /vendors/researchers in the field have been invited to present use
cases and provide input to the project , this is the time to pitch in

Any later, or any lack of due consideration could result in another eu
funded semantic web research project missing the mark entirely and result
in possibly misleading outcome.

PDM