Re: Qwiki was: Google Knowledge Graph Experiment

On 18 May 2012, at 13:05, adasal wrote:

> I think I see the same situation everyone else does.
> Huge corporate chasing (as ever) share price.

yes, or trying to find ways of reducing the share price of others. Facebook's IPO is this week.

> Closed system which may or may not have an API.
> Sweeping the mind of 'the many'.

Marketing. The good thing about the marketing is that it helps spread a message. This one
with "graph and semantics".

> Meanwhile there are academics, open committees and some small businesses pursuing a more particular vision.
> What value a vision?
> Do visions gets squashed, homogenised, lost, suppressed?

They take time to develop, implement themselves in brains of students, that need to coordinate. The marketing of the big corps helps fix it as a reality in a large number of minds. So this can work for us, just don't expect it all to come from the big corps.

> The interesting thing about the semantic web is that it is about identity in its various forms (types). It is highly political.

It is a peer to peer data structure. As such it cannot be taken on as a whole by one organisation, but
has to be something that grows across organisations. This is why it is neither something that capitalism
alone can make work ( greed alone cannot build such a structure), nor can pure state mechanisms. (states
are for one elements in a p2p network of states, and secondly tend to think in hierarchical terms of their
subjects).

But you are right identity is social. This is what Philosopher Bernard Stiegler citing a philosopher of
Science of the 50-60 Gilbert Simmondon, calls the process of individuation. Individuation is a process
and it involves technology, such as writing, or other skills. We do not start as individuals, we become them
by distinguishing ourselves from the rest. So indeed RDF is political, in the good sense of the term: as involving
us all to participate and create the greater good, and vice versa to allow the greater to individuate itself.

But these are more philosophical issues, that take a lot of time to think about. There is a community
group started on this http://www.w3.org/community/philoweb/

> Adam
>
> On 18 May 2012 10:03, Henry Story <henry.story@bblfish.net> wrote:
> By the way, there are some other projects like http://www.qwiki.com/ that clearly do work
> semantically, and offer some of the features touted by google.
>
> Henry
>
> On 18 May 2012, at 09:36, Ivan Herman wrote:
>

> > On May 18, 2012, at 06:51 , Eric Franzon wrote:
> >
> >> Ivan,
> >>
> >> Actually, some modest testing has shown something other than geography at play here. Earlier today, colleagues in London and California were able to see GKG rich data visualizations, while others in the US (myself included -- also in California) and Europe could not.
> >>
> >> I spoke to a Google representative this afternoon who confirmed the gradual roll-out, but would not (or could not) discuss the algorithm. He did hint that people with Google accounts will be first to see the enhancements.
> >
> > Hm. Ok, although I do have a google account...
> >
> > Anyway, no big deal. There is time to do this, but what this shows is that running an experiment now may be premature.
> >
> > Cheers
> >
> > ivan
> >

> >> Cheers,
> >> --Eric
> >>
> >> Sent from my iPhone

> > ----
> > Ivan Herman, W3C Semantic Web Activity Lead
> > Home: http://www.w3.org/People/Ivan/
> > mobile: +31-641044153
> > FOAF: http://www.ivan-herman.net/foaf.rdf
> >

> Social Web Architect