Re: ANN: Nature Publishing Group Linked Data Platform

Hi Tony - exciting stuff.
A few questions, if I may.
As usual, I go looking for the owl:sameas triples to add to http://sameas.org/ etc.
And congratulations on the CC0 1.0, which I think makes it explicit that I am allowed to.

This has led me to some queries:
When I look at the RDF for http://dx.doi.org/10.1038/nm.2129
I get
  <rdf:Description rdf:about="http://dx.doi.org/10.1038/nm.2129">
    <ns0:sameAs xmlns:ns0="http://www.w3.org/2002/07/owl#" rdf:resource="info:doi/10.1038/nm.2129"/>
(among other things, of course.)
Now, I can of course use http://crossref.org/ to look it up, or append to http://dx.doi.org/ and look up
http://dx.doi.org/info:doi/10.1038/nm.2129
and get RDF back.
But I am wondering whether the use of owl:sameAs to a non-http URI is best practice in something that says it is Linked Data?

When I start to SPARQL for owl:sameAs triples, I get
<http://ns.nature.com/contributors/joe-cummins-2ente0kr9qc7z> owl:sameAs 	<http://id.crossref.org/contributor/joe-cummins-2ente0kr9qc7z>
as my first result.
Unfortunately http://id.crossref.org/contributor/joe-cummins-2ente0kr9qc7z gives HTTP/1.1 400 Bad Request - "Malformed DOI" as response.
Is this just an error, or is there something deeper here?

Like the others, I went looking for RDF dumps (so as not to hit your server), but found none (I didn't find a robots.txt or sitemap.xml on data.nature.com either).
Can you perhaps advise? - I am after the owl:sameAs data.

I'm really excited about being able to use the data.

Best
Hugh

On 5 Apr 2012, at 10:17, Hammond, Tony wrote:

> ** Apologies for cross-posting **
>
> Hi:
>
> We just wanted to share this news from yesterday's NPG press release [1]:
>
>    "Nature Publishing Group (NPG) today is pleased to join the linked data
> community by opening up access to its publication data via a linked data
> platform. NPG's Linked Data Platform is available at http://data.nature.com.
>
>    The platform includes more than 20 million Resource Description
> Framework (RDF) statements, including primary metadata for more than 450,000
> articles published by NPG since 1869. In this first release, the datasets
> include basic citation information (title, author, publication date, etc) as
> well as NPG specific ontologies. These datasets are being released under an
> open metadata license, Creative Commons Zero (CC0), which permits maximal
> use/re-use of this data.
>
>    NPG's platform allows for easy querying, exploration and extraction of
> data and relationships about articles, contributors, publications, and
> subjects. Users can run web-standard SPARQL Protocol and RDF Query Language
> (SPARQL) queries to obtain and manipulate data stored as RDF. The platform
> uses standard vocabularies such as Dublin Core, FOAF, PRISM, BIBO and OWL,
> and the data is integrated with existing public datasets including CrossRef
> and PubMed.
>
>    More information about NPG's Linked Data Platform is available at
> http://developers.nature.com/docs. Sample queries can be found at
> http://data.nature.com/query. "
>
> Cheers,
>
> Tony
>
> [1] http://www.nature.com/press_releases/linkeddata.html

> DISCLAIMER: This e-mail is confidential and should not be used by anyone who is
> not the original intended recipient. If you have received this e-mail in error
> please inform the sender and delete it from your mailbox or any other storage
> mechanism. Neither Macmillan Publishers Limited nor any of its agents accept
> liability for any statements made which are clearly the sender's own and not
> expressly made on behalf of Macmillan Publishers Limited or one of its agents.
> Please note that neither Macmillan Publishers Limited nor any of its agents
> accept any responsibility for viruses that may be contained in this e-mail or
> its attachments and it is your responsibility to scan the e-mail and
> attachments (if any). No contracts may be concluded on behalf of Macmillan
> Publishers Limited or its agents by means of e-mail communication. Macmillan
> Publishers Limited Registered in England and Wales with registered number 785998
> Registered Office Brunel Road, Houndmills, Basingstoke RG21 6XS

Hugh Glaser,
             Web and Internet Science
             Electronics and Computer Science,
             University of Southampton,
             Southampton SO17 1BJ
Work: +44 23 8059 3670, Fax: +44 23 8059 3045
Mobile: +44 75 9533 4155 , Home: +44 23 8061 5652
http://www.ecs.soton.ac.uk/~hg/