Best way to produce Ontology from XSD

From: Lewis John Mcgibbney <lewis.mcgibbney@gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 12 Jun 2012 16:19:48 +0100
To: semantic-web@w3.org
Good Afternoon Everyone,

I'm in a bit of a puzzle just now w.r.t producing a suitable ontology
from a XSD which I have at the link below (all other configuration is
in the parent directory)

Basically the schema describes all sorts of construction and
engineering elements such as windows, walls, doors, etc etc.
I want to build an RDF or OWL resource which uses appropriate
vocabularies to describe these elements and their various attributes.

So if I pick one element e.g

       <xs:element substitutionGroup="ifc:IfcBuildingElement" name="IfcWall"
nillable="true" type="ifc:IfcWall">
       <xs:complexType name="IfcWall">
                       <xs:extension base="ifc:IfcBuildingElement">

This describes an element with the name IfcWall (a typical wall) which
belongs to the ifc:IfcBuildingElement substitutionGroup and has X Y Z

My idea is to use XSLT to grab all of the elements I wish to include
within the ontology (a subset), then begin modeling each element in
RDF/OWL however I'm unsure on
1) which vocabularies exist for correctly describing the relationships
2) How to do this in a consistent manner between elements
3) If such a task can be (semi)automated

Basically I need some help with the data modeling aspect of the work.

Any direction/information would be greatly appreciated.

Kind Regards and thanks in advance for any help