Why do we name nodes and not edges?

From: Melvin Carvalho <melvincarvalho@gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 25 Jul 2012 17:07:54 +0200
To: Semantic Web <semantic-web@w3.org>
Sorry if this topic has been covered before, but I have a question based on
the axioms of the web, in particular:

*Axiom 0a: Universality 2    Any resource of significance should be given a
URI.
*
In this case we consider the web to be a directed graph (of nodes and
edges), where a *node* corresponds to a *resource* but edge does not.

We are encouraged to make nodes universal by giving them a URI.

Why dont edges get the same treatment, ie encouragment to give it a
(universal) name.  Is it even practical?

I know there's such thing as reification but that seems to be unpopular
(maybe before my time).

I'm just curious as to whether this seems asymmetrical, that nodes are
seemigly treated in one way, and edges in another?