[echo] opening up academic projects

I d like to echo  Nathan's post below since I have had similar
thoughts many times
in recent weeks

 I d love to collaborate with many projects posted on this list, and
wonder why there arent more 'open' (yet paid) collaboration
opportunities to contribute to funded projects
which in the majority of cases end up remaining isolated effort with
limited impact

I am aware that such a request may be 'pointless', in the sense that
that academic reality is reactionary by design:

university gets money, money buys professor, professor hires someone
to do the work,

but many of us are part of this community because we think we can help
to deliver change, one way or another

It goes without saying that many of us have competences and interest
in collaborating
on the funded projects  and organisations advertised on this list, if
they were more 'transformative' and more innovative and less top down

Facing the real world could also deliver the advantage to mitigating
the sometimes total 'out of touch' speculative scenarios of certain
academic circles and projects

Looking forward to more progressive ways to engage with the research
community :-)

PDM