Re: OWL equivalentClass question

Hi Nathan!

I'm not quite sure now what you want to know here. If the question is
which of the two terms "owl:complementOf" and "owl:datatypeComplementOf"
is to be used between datatypes (or data ranges), then (in OWL 2 DL, at
least) the answer is "owl:datatypeComplementOf"; the use of
"owl:complementOf" is restricted to classes (and class expressions) and
not allowed to be used between datatypes.

If you want to know what the different meanings of the two terms are, then:

   * ":C2 owl:complementOf :C1" means: class :C2 represnts all the
/individuals/ in the /object domain/ (denoted by owl:Thing), which are
not in :C1.

   * ":D2 owl:datatypeComplement :D1" means: datatype :D2 represents all
the /datavalues/ in the /data domain/ (denoted by rdfs:Literal), which
are not in :D1.

If you want to know, why a different term was introduced for the
complement of datatypes in OWL 2, while on the other hand the existing
terms "owl:equivalentClass", "owl:intersectionOf" and "owl:unionOf" were
all reused for datatypes, then I can say that this has (ugly) technical
reasons, which have to do with the relationship between the OWL 2 Direct
Semantics and the OWL 2 RDF-Based Semantics (or OWL 2 Full). The
complement of datatypes was meant, under the OWL 2 Direct Semantics, to
be relative to the whole domain of datavalues (as denoted by
rdfs:Literal), but under the OWL 2 RDF-Based Semantics, the term
"owl:complementOf" was (already in OWL 1) defined to be the complement
w.r.t. all individuals (owl:Thing). The relevant bit here is that under
the OWL 2 Direct Semantics, the data domain and the object domain are
strictly separated (disjoint sets), while under the OWL 2 RDF-Based
Semantics, the object domain includes the data domain, just as in RDFS,
where rdfs:Literal is a sub class of rdfs:Resource (which is equivalent
to owl:Thing under the OWL 2 RDF-Based Semantics). By introducing the
new term "owl:datatypeComplementOf", it became possible to specify the
meaning of the datatype complement in both semantics of OWL 2 in the
same way: relative to the data domain.

Best,
Michael

Am 13.07.2012 16:30, schrieb Nathan:
> Sigh, I'm doing it now too..
>
> I actually meant owl:complementOf (according to owl 2 syntax 7.3
> example) or owl:datatypeComplementOf (according to table 12 in [2])
>
> Sorry for the confusion!
>
> Nathan wrote:
>> Thanks Michael!
>>
>> Much appreciated and thanks for the fast clear response. One other
>> question whilst I'm here if you don't mind:
>>
>> Under [1] (Owl Syntax 7.4 Enumeration of Literals) the example has:
>>
>>   Functional-Style Syntax:
>>     DataOneOf( "Peter" "1"^^xsd:integer )
>>   RDF:
>>     _:x rdf:type rdfs:Datatype .
>>     _:x owl:oneOf ( "Peter" "1"^^xsd:integer ) .
>>
>> note: *owl:oneOf*
>>
>> However, under [2] (3.2.4 Parsing of Expressions - Table 12) it
>> clearly shows:
>>
>>   _:x rdf:type rdfs:Datatype .
>>   _:x owl:datatypeComplementOf y .
>>
>> So which is it, owl:oneOf or owl:datatypeComplementOf ?
>>
>> Many thanks as always,
>>
>> Nathan
>>
>> [1] http://www.w3.org/TR/owl2-syntax/#Enumeration_of_Literals
>> [2]
>> http://www.w3.org/TR/2009/REC-owl2-mapping-to-rdf-20091027/#Parsing_of_Expressions
>>

>> Michael Schneider wrote:
>>> [Hrmph, I found another error in my first post. So forget
>>> all my previous posts, here is complete rewrite with the
>>> errors being fixed.]
>>>
>>> Hi Nathan!
>>>
>>> In the context of datatypes and data ranges (including
>>> datatype restrictions, as you use them in your examples),
>>> the term "owl:equivalentClass" is used in the RDF syntax
>>> of OWL 2 for stating /datatype definitions/; see [1] for
>>> the specification of datatype definitions, and Table 16
>>> in [2] for the reverse RDF mapping from the RDF encoding
>>> of datatype definitions to their OWL 2 functional syntax
>>> counterparts.
>>>
>>> Further, from the last entry of Table 12 in [2], you can
>>> see that the RDF encoding of /datatype restrictions/ is
>>> only defined for blank nodes (as in your first example),
>>> so the mapping of datatype definitions does not apply if
>>> a URI is used instead (as in your second example).
>>>
>>> Hence, only the first of your two examples is syntactically
>>> valid in OWL 2 DL, and its meaning is, as you certainly
>>> intended, to define a name (URI) for the given datatype
>>> restriction.
>>>
>>> [1]
>>> <http://www.w3.org/TR/2009/REC-owl2-syntax-20091027/#Datatype_Definitions>
>>>
>>> [2] <http://www.w3.org/TR/2009/REC-owl2-mapping-to-rdf-20091027/>
>>>
>>> Best,
>>> Michael

Dipl.-Inform. Michael Schneider
Research Scientist, IPE / WIM

FZI Forschungszentrum Informatik
Haid-und-Neu-Str. 10–14
76131 Karlsruhe, Germany
Tel.: +49 721 9654-726
Fax: +49 721 9654-727

michael.schneider@fzi.de
www.fzi.de

Forschungszentrum Informatik (FZI) an der Universität Karlsruhe
Stiftung des bürgerlichen Rechts
Stiftung Az: 14-0563.1 Regierungspräsidium Karlsruhe
Vorstand: Dipl. Wi.-Ing. Michael Flor, Prof. Dr. Ralf Reussner,
Prof. Dr. Rudi Studer, Prof. Dr.-Ing. J. Marius Zöllner