Re: Identifiers for digital content

From: Mo McRoberts <mo.mcroberts@bbc.co.uk>
Date: Thu, 12 Jul 2012 18:28:55 +0100
Cc: <semantic-web@w3.org>
To: Graham Klyne <GK-lists@ninebynine.org>
Hi Graham,

I'll have a dig into your project; I think you're right about the similarities.

> BTW, DOIs might be an option for the identifiers, as they can be published as http://dx.doi.org/... for dereferencability.  There's a growing dereferencing structure not unlike PURL, but somewhat more formalized if people feel that's what is required.

Absolutely  my feeling is if your rules around identifiers & retrieving metadata boil down "use linked data", then DOIs (and things derived from DOIS, such as EIDR) can  for those who wish to use them  work as a part of that, because you can express a DOI as an HTTP URI and publish data on the place you end up at when you resolve it.

M.

--
Mo McRoberts - Technical Lead - The Space
0141 422 6036 (Internal: 01-26036) - PGP key CEBCF03E,