Re: redirects and relative URLs

From: John Erickson <olyerickson@gmail.com>
Date: Sun, 29 Jan 2012 08:03:14 -0500
To: Henry Story <henry.story@gmail.com>
Cc: Liste SW-W3C <semantic-web@w3.org>, Linked Data community <public-lod@w3.org>
Henry asked:
> If I dereference a URL which contains a redirect to another resource, and that
> resource contains relative URLs, how should the relative URLs of the returned
> document be completed? With the initial URL? Or with the one given in the Location
> header (or some other header?) of the last document?
> Perhaps this has been written up somewhere?

Doesn't RFC 3986 <http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc3986.txt> speak to this?

5.1.3.  Base URI from the Retrieval URI

If no base URI is embedded and the representation is not encapsulated
within some other entity, then, if a URI was used to retrieve the
representation, that URI shall be considered the base URI.  Note that
if the retrieval was the result of a redirected request, the last URI
used (i.e., the URI that resulted in the actual retrieval of the
representation) is the base URI.

John S. Erickson, Ph.D.
Director, Web Science Operations
Tetherless World Constellation (RPI)